Shiplap Anyone?


Shiplap, Chip and Joanna have made it a household word throughout the decorating world.  Some love it some don’t. This is my shiplap story.

Last spring I planned to strip wallpaper off some walls and paint.  A time consuming but doable simple job. Ha!  It was NOT!  I started and I found more wallpaper under with a canvas under it.  Removing the wallpaper meant the sheetrock was coming down too.  Don’t you love the basketball uniforms?  Mid to late 60’s attire?


New sheetrock was not my plan! So, I investigated a ton of possibilities, including  wood planking and shiplap.  The problem with the planking and shiplap was it messed up all the trim, the outlets, etc.  So back to the drawing board.  This is what I decided to do.


I cut pieces of heavy craft paper into 6″ strips and then glued them to the walls. Working my way around the room.


Next came the white washing. I didn’t want to cover it all as I was going after a shiplap look.  All of the walls were then dry brushed with paint, being careful not to paint over the joint.  I was loving it!


I added a little more definition to the joints with a shading pencil and believe it or not a crayon! Small nails with tack heads were added randomly to really make it look real. This was another project that took a different turn after starting it but, with a little determination and work it became a room that I really love.


The joy of seeing potential,redoing and repurposing still make my heart sing!







The Cinderella Door


Our home has seen a ton of renovations since moving in.  I still had this closet door (below)in a guest bedroom. Pretty ugly all the time, before and after midnight. So after a lot of thought, I came up with a way to use them and still have them be way more functional and pretty!


I began by taking them down and we added wood between and on top of the two doors to make them large enough for the closet. After that the fun began for me!  I added embossed wallpaper to the top third of the door.


The wallpaper was dry brushed to give it more depth.


The bottom of the door was painted white and then dry brushed also.  The next step had some people scratching their heads and some wondered if I had lost my mind.  But, I tore apart a hollow door we were no longer using.  The front and back were ripped into 4″ strips.  Then  the strips were sanded and stained (I used the inside part).  They were placed down the middle, on the sides, across top and bottom and then the bottom 2/3rd  was divided also. I used wood glue and small nails to attach the strips to the frame.


The strips were dressed up by adding upholstery tacks in varies places.  Of course it needed a little more function and jewelry by way of handles.


We added barn door hardware and a decorative piece of wood to complete the project.  A great transformation on  these closet doors! The guest room is now complete.